Don’t Worry, Be Happy

 

happybargraphIn my post about Microsoft’s Convergence conference, I wrote about a game we had in our booth: “Does Your CRM Data Quality Make You Happy?” Here’s more about it, including the results.

Using a layout similar to a major analyst firm’s Magic Quadrant, we offered visitors emoticon stickers and invited them to place them on the board, with “smiling” results in the upper right-hand corner. It was a way to inject a bit of levity into a serious issue. And really, who can resist a smiley face?

Sadly, only a quarter of participants were happy with their CRM data quality. We expected mixed results. Indeed, we got an abundance of not-so-smiling faces crowding the mid- to lower-left quadrant. By far the largest portion of stickers hovered right around the middle. The middle, in my book, is not a happy place to be when it comes to data quality.

Two participants stood out. A California-based company was so completely fed up with their CRM data they put an angry face, upside down, in the “smiling” quadrant. Sarcasm is definitely not happy.

happychart

My favorite was a woman who ran up and placed the “grimace” face in the lower corner. As a sales coordinator, she’s responsible for cleaning up the data for her team. It’s a thankless task. Maintaining data quality manually is like painting the Golden Gate Bridge – you paint your way across, then start over.

It’s terrible that so many of these folks aren’t smiling, especially since there is a way to make them happy. We had two current D&B360 for CRM customers come by the booth. Two of the smiley faces in the upper right belong to them. I’m smilin’ right back at them!

So, the results are in. Just 26% of our booth visitors were happy with their CRM data. The remaining 74% are still figuring things out. Not to worry, D&B is here when you’re ready.

Posted in Data Quality, Sales & Marketing, Solution Partners by Erin Wright

Erin Wright, Marketing Director, Global Alliances & Partnerships

One thought on “Don’t Worry, Be Happy

  1. The distribution is not surprising. There’s a saying, “you don’t know, what you don’t know” and I believe that if most companies truly knew the state of their data they would have scored it even lower. It’s not enough to get data right up front (although that’s a herculean task), but to avoid data decay or data changing over time you have to have repeatable and sophisticated processes in place. Otherwise you end up with duplicates and low quality data which erodes sales people’s confidence, impacting adoption and ultimately the ROI of the entire CRM investment.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Have a question and don't want to leave a comment? Drop us a line.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>